Solo Southwest Wanderings 2019

Sina and Emma’s Baby shower

Sunrise at Mono Lake, CA

Hike in Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, CA – oldest trees on Earth

Visit with Omi and Arthur in Henderson, NV

Pando and Fish Lake National Forest, UT

Sunset in Arches National Park, UT

Sunrise at Delicate Arch in Arches, first one at the arch

Hike to find Dark Angel Petroglyphs via Devils Garden Trail in Arches

Apply to jobs in Glenwood Springs, speak to helpful Ranger Amanda

Hike Hanging Lake in the morning, first one to make it up the 1,000ft incline to Spouting Falls

awkward dad smile

Day in Boulder petting Claude the cat, who acts like a dog, and walking around downtown Boulder

Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado – Hiked 10 miles around Cub Lake, camped at Moraine Park Campground, next day hiked 10 more miles to Lake of Glass and Sky Pond, saw many beaver, marmots, moose

the very beginning of fall colors

Great Sand Dunes National Monument, Colorado- went early, meditated on dunes, very peaceful and surreal

Taos, New Mexico

Santa Fe, New Mexico – MEOWWOLF!!

Imagine the weirdest art exhibit you’ve experienced, then multiply that by a million. You are encouraged to touch everything, crawl on your hands and knees through portals into other dimensions, and interact with the art. Five-year olds with 3D glasses are running around with eighty-five year olds, everyone experiencing the same sense of wonder

Petrified Forest National Park – it was pouring rain so I was not able to appreciate this place, must return

Salvation Mountain

huge pieces of paint are peeling off the ground

San Diego

Reflections

Being on the road lends space and time to process and self-reflect, free from the opinions of others. But growth will not materialize if I do not put in the effort to improve myself.

It took a long time for me to realize such a simple truth that was infront of me for a long time. I adore traveling to National Parks and exploring their untrammeled beauty. So why don’t I get a job in these places that take my breath away? If I am surrounded by beauty, how can I loathe my job?

I am inspired by the grandeur of National Parks, so I have applied to some Biological Science Technician positions within Yosemite National Park and nearby mountains. It is time that I take charge of my own fate, while blending it with my dreams, to create a wondrous reality.

What I’ve learned from this experience

-That I am more capable than I realize. I am capable at waking up at 4am to be the first one on the trail to enjoy the sunset at my destination. I am capable of driving safely cross country and always being careful to observe my surroundings. I reminded myself that I love roaming by myself, living solely in the present moment, and absorbing knowledge like a sponge.

-Studies have proven that being in the presence of wild Mother Nature increases a sense of awe, which has direct influences upon a person’s well being. Therefore, striving to increase the number of awe-inspiring experiences in one’s life will catalyze a more positive mental health.

70943_CG47 Campground-Map-Moraine-Park Rocky Mountain guide-to-your-national-forests-large-2018 Longs-Peak-2012-2 Lumpy Ridge Trails 8×11 Rocky-Mountain-National-Park-2019-Fall-Newspaper September Road trip Planning

One thought on “Solo Southwest Wanderings 2019

1. Another grand and perfectly executed adventure by our sweet but ferocious daughter. We can’t wait for the next one…. with us of course.
    M&D