Soil Ecology and Restoration Group (SERG) Native Plant Research and Restoration

Welcome to the Soil Ecology and Restoration Group, where we collaborate with many agencies to restore degraded local landscapes by removing introduced species and replanting native plant species. Projects range from threatened species on military bases to restoring Alvarado creek near SDSU. I am grateful to work with this non-profit because of the value-driven mission and the inspiring people running the show.

first week at SERG observations:

1. There is a lot of theft around the area, and many items are taken from the workplace. On my second day of work, a truck with a shattered back window towing a trailer made a big turn slowly through the parking lot. It’s a huge disappointment that some people choose to make a living by stealing from others.
  2. People who do not own a traditional home are common trespassers around the greenhouse, even breaking into the bathroom to sleep at night. I feel sorrow for their lack of a stable shelter, but also a bit unsafe in a sobering realistic way.

My boss Julie took me and a coworker out for food and beer, and we played this game. What a wonderful job i have 🙂
Lithophragma endangered species from the island, being grown here and in a couple other places
AECOM seed germination tests that we do three times a week

Second week at SERG

Goal: hand cut all Melilotus from the North side of Alvarado Creek

Sensitive Species Monitoring

Uta stansburiana – common side blotched lizard

Salt Marsh Moth eating a Nuttals Acmispon
Before the cleanup
mid cleanup